The 10 Commandments For Carpet Cleaning
- Frequent vacuuming is important. Wear and tear of carpet is often caused by dirt. Too oily soils traps soil, with frequent vacuuming will help reduce soil build up.
- Act on stains quickly, 99% of all stains can be taken out by one cleaning agent or another if they are cleaned in the first few days. Stains that stays longer becomes permanent damage to the carpet fiber.
- Always test the carpet before scrubbing, extracting or spotting. This is because different carpets has different materials and dye types. Certain carpets are very sensitive to acid based cleaners and will shed their color quickly. While certain carpets dyes are delicate to strong alkalis.
- Using the appropriate spotters starting with the mildest. Do not use strong spotting agents unless absolutely necessary and often neutralize high alkaline or high acid cleaners after use.
- Don’t brush spots or dig it. The correct procedure is to scrape the spot towards the middle and then tamp the spot into the white towel or cloth using a brush or additional tamping devices. A meat tenderizer makes a great tamping tool.
- Do not use household detergents or shampoo. Detergent will result in residual left in the carpet that even thorough vacuuming may not remove.
- Do not over use water to wet carpet during cleaning. Over-wetting can cause mold growth, carpet shrinkage, adhesion problems and musty smell.
- Residuals must be extracted using steam extraction cleaning system. Steam extraction cleaning helps to effectively pull soil, pollutants, dirts, germs, dust mites that are trapped deep inside carpet loop.
- Never “coating” a dirty or spotty carpet. After scrubbing or extracting a dirty carpet, if you are not satisfied with the results, do not apply a layer of carpeting protector as this will lead to “gluing in the dirt” making it harder to remove it the next time. Either re-scrub or extract the floor covering or leave the carpet until the next cleaning cycle before you coat.
- Do steam extraction cleaning frequently. It significantly improves carpet condition for long term maintenance and improve your home and office hygiene.